The Society rented a derelict tea room at the Valley of the Waters picnic area at Wentworth Falls.
The building, privately erected in 1930, but then owned by the Blue Mountains City Council, was renovated by Society members.
The Society operated tea rooms at the Hut during school holidays and at weekends until the Hut was demolished in 1990.
As well as being a venue for light refreshments, the old Hut was used as an information and education centre. Displays were presented on aspects of the Blue Mountains ecology and local conservation issues. The Hut took on a museum type atmosphere with its varied displays.
The Hut was the headquarters for the planning and execution of the environmental protection campaigns waged by the Society in the first three decades of its existence.
Monthly public meetings were held in the Hut, where conservation matters were discussed, and members were addressed by a guest speaker.
In the 1980s, the Hut and its surrounding land was transferred to National Parks and Wildlife Service.
In 1990, the old Hut was demolished by NPWS. The replacement building, owned by NPWS, is leased to a private operator who runs a restaurant.
In 1996 the two societies merged to become the present body, the Blue Mountains Conservation Society Inc. The Conservation Hut remains the Society's headquarters and the Black Cockatoos its logo.
An important goal of the enlarged Society (then comprising 500 members) was to obtain World Heritage status for the Greater Blue Mountains area of 1.03 million hectares, since it is an outstanding example of universal natural values, particularly its rugged scenery, biological diversity and vast expanses of wilderness. This status was achieved in 2000.
The Society celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2011.